THE OUTLANDISH COMPANION, VOLUME TWO, will be published in the U.S.A. on October 27, 2015. It will be a companion to the second four OUTLANDER novels: THE FIERY CROSS, A BREATH OF SNOW AND ASHES, AN ECHO IN THE BONE, and WRITTEN IN MY OWN HEART’S BLOOD. This book is a sequel (or addition to) the revised and updated edition of THE OUTLANDISH COMPANION, VOLUME ONE published in March, 2015, which covered the first four major novels in the series.
The OUTLANDISH COMPANION, VOLUME TWO is currently a work in progress. However, Diana has given some hints as to what readers may find in this new compendium of background information, historic details, and fascinating tidbits when it is released, included below!
From the Random House (and Delacorte) web site:
More than a decade ago, #1 New York Times bestselling author Diana Gabaldon delighted her legions of fans with THE OUTLANDISH COMPANION, an indispensable guide to all the OUTLANDER books at the time. But that edition was just a taste of things to come. Since that publication, there have been four more OUTLANDER novels, multiple spinoffs, and one smash-hit STARZ original (TV) series. Now Gabaldon serves up THE OUTLANDISH COMPANION, VOLUME TWO, an all-new guide to the latest books and the strange, sprawling world that Claire Randall and Jamie Fraser call home.
What Might Be In The COMPANION II?
Diana has mentioned that VOLUME TWO "will contain maps, timelines, floor plans, costumes, recipes, photographs of Scotland and North Carolina, and a Whole Lot of Other Stuff." In a 2010 blog, Diana said there will be detailed synopses of:
- THE FIERY CROSS
- A BREATH OF SNOW AND ASHES
- AN ECHO IN THE BONE
- WRITTEN IN MY OWN HEART’S BLOOD
- LORD JOHN AND THE PRIVATE MATTER
- LORD JOHN AND THE BROTHERHOOD OF THE BLADE
- LORD JOHN AND THE HAND OF DEVILS
- THE SCOTTISH PRISONER
- Other works published since VOLUME ONE of THE OUTLANDISH COMPANION was released.
In addition, in 2010 Diana mentioned including the following features:
- "Cast of Characters" listings for all the books listed above. These lists note which books each character appears in, and give a thumbnail description of each character (for those readers who have trouble remembering who’s who).
- A Comprehensive, Alphabetized and Phonetic Glossary of All the Gaelic in All the Books (so far).
- Interesting Features on Writing in General (Diana’s "chunk writing" technique vs. outlines, how to organize scenes so you can find them again, the Fine Art of Backing Up, etc.) and Writing These Books in Particular (the “shape” of each book, internal structure, and interconnections).
- Reader’s Guides (book-club discussion questions and commentary).
- Features on Costume and Cookery of the 18th Century.
- A Truly Massive (but well-organized!) Bibliography, of all the References used in writing the books since Volume I of the COMPANION was published.
- Many Inspiring and Beautiful Photographs of the Scottish Highlands (and perhaps a few less inspiring ones of the author) taken by Barbara Schnell, the German translator for the books.
- A Selection of the most Piquant, Poignant, Offensive, and/or Hilarious (whether deliberately or inadvertently) Letters received— and the Author;s Unexpurgated Responses to Same.
- Controversy: Commentary and discussion on the more controversial scenes, themes, or incidents in the various books.
So look for this second volume! THE OUTLANDISH COMPANION, VOLUME II, will certainly be a must-read for all who love the OUTLANDER series.
Global Publication Dates
Each time a new book by Diana is published, readers in different countries around the world would like to know when it will be available in their publication area. Diana announces release dates in each country or publishing region as soon as she knows them. Publishers in Canada, the U.K., Australia, and New Zealand usually release her new books near the publication date in the U.S. If you live in another area, these general guidelines may help. Or contact a local independent bookseller in your area. Note that translation of her books from English to another language before publication usually takes about a year.
The publisher’s synopsis listed was downloaded and added on February 2, 2015.
This page last updated by Diana’s Webmistress on on Wednesday, February 25, 2015 at 4:24 a.m. (PT).