This book is a sequel or addition to the first OUTLANDISH COMPANION (aka THROUGH THE STONES), which was published in the U.S.A. on June 29, 1999.
The OUTLANDISH COMPANION, VOLUME II is currently a work in progress. (An official completion or release date has NOT been announced yet by Diana or her publisher.) However, Diana has given some hints as to what readers may find in this new compendium of background information, historic details, and fascinating tidbits when it is released!
What Might Be In The COMPANION II?
Diana has mentioned that Volume II “will contain maps, timelines, floor plans, costumes, recipes, photographs of Scotland and North Carolina, and a Whole Lot of Other Stuff.”
Plus in a 2010 blog, Diana listed specifics of what she is planning to include in Volume II. The new OUTLANDISH COMPANION, Volume II, is planned to have detailed synopses of:
- THE FIERY CROSS
- A BREATH OF SNOW AND ASHES
- AN ECHO IN THE BONE
- WRITTEN IN MY OWN HEART’S BLOOD
- LORD JOHN AND THE PRIVATE MATTER
- LORD JOHN AND THE BROTHERHOOD OF THE BLADE
- LORD JOHN AND THE HAND OF DEVILS
- THE SCOTTISH PRISONER
- Other works published since volume I of THE OUTLANDISH COMPANION was released.
In addition, in 2010 Diana mentioned including the following features:
- "Cast of Characters" listings for all the books listed above. These lists note which books each character appears in, and give a thumbnail description of each character (for those readers who have trouble remembering who’s who).
- A Comprehensive, Alphabetized and Phonetic Glossary of All the Gaelic in All the Books (so far).
- Interesting Features on Writing in General (Diana’s "chunk writing" technique vs. outlines, how to organize scenes so you can find them again, the Fine Art of Backing Up, etc.) and Writing These Books in Particular (the “shape” of each book, internal structure, and interconnections).
- Reader’s Guides (book-club discussion questions and commentary).
- Features on Costume and Cookery of the 18th Century.
- A Truly Massive (but well-organized!) Bibliography, of all the References used in writing the books since Volume I of the COMPANION was published.
- Many Inspiring and Beautiful Photographs of the Scottish Highlands (and perhaps a few less inspiring ones of the author) taken by Barbara Schnell, the German translator for the books.
- A Selection of the most Piquant, Poignant, Offensive, and/or Hilarious (whether deliberately or inadvertently) Letters received— and the Author;s Unexpurgated Responses to Same.
- Controversy: Commentary and discussion on the more controversial scenes, themes, or incidents in the various books.
When Will Volume II Be Released?
n her blog of July 6, 2014, titled "WHAT NEXT?", in which Diana discusses her next projects after WRITTEN IN MY OWN HEART’S BLOOD, she said:
"Now, there’s a _lot_ of THE OUTLANDISH COMPANION, Volume 2 in existence. I’ve been messing about with that on the side for the last 2-3 years, and most of it is _there_, if not yet tidied into its final form. There are a few chunks of original writing still to be done for that—the detailed synopsis for MOBY (Book 8) is the first that springs to mind, though I’ll also need to add commentary to a largish excerpt section (specialized excerpts), and a few other bits to be collected or contracted (i.e., I may have to get someone to produce things like maps or floor-plans, as I can’t do better than crude sketches on my own). But IF I move OC2 to the top of the work pile (not as the main focus, but as the main side-project), it _might_ be ready for delivery to the publisher around January, and thus might be in print sometime in the first half of 2015, which would be nice. (I also need to do slight updates to OC1, removing obsolete material and maybe improving the Gaelic Pronunciation Guide—that sort of thing.)"
Note that sometimes book selling sites may estimate a publication date for a book and start selling pre-orders, even if the author and publisher have NOT set an official date. So please refer to this site and Diana’s publishers for official release dates for the U.S.A. and globally.
So stay tuned! THE OUTLANDISH COMPANION, VOLUME II, will be a must-read for all who love the Outlander series.
Photo credit: Claire (actress Catriona Balfe) at the Stones. From the Starz Outlander TV series.
This page last updated by Diana’s Webmistress on on Wednesday, July 23, 2014 at 4:11 p.m. (PDT).