This book is a sequel or addition to the first OUTLANDISH COMPANION (aka THROUGH THE STONES), which was published in the U.S.A. on June 29, 1999.
The OUTLANDISH COMPANION, VOLUME II is currently a work in progress. (No official completion or release date has been announced yet by Diana or her publisher.) However, Diana has given some hints as to what readers may find in this new compendium of background information, historic details, and fascinating tidbits when it is released!
What Will Be In The COMPANION II?
Diana has mentioned that Volume II “will contain maps, timelines, floor plans, costumes, recipes, photographs of Scotland and North Carolina, and a Whole Lot of Other Stuff.”
Plus in a 2010 blog, Diana listed specifics of what she is planning to include in Volume II:
The new OUTLANDISH COMPANION, Volume II, will contain detailed synopses of:
- THE FIERY CROSS
- A BREATH OF SNOW AND ASHES
- AN ECHO IN THE BONE
- LORD JOHN AND THE PRIVATE MATTER
- LORD JOHN AND THE BROTHERHOOD OF THE BLADE
- LORD JOHN AND THE HAND OF DEVILS
All are books that were published since volume I of THE OUTLANDISH COMPANION was released.
In addition, Diana mentioned including the following:
- “Cast of Characters” listings for all the books listed above. These lists note which books each character appears in, and give a thumbnail description of each character (for those readers who have trouble remembering who’s who).
- A Comprehensive, Alphabetized and Phonetic Glossary of All the Gaelic in All the Books (so far).
- Interesting Features on Writing in General (Diana’s “chunk writing” technique vs. outlines, how to organize scenes so you can find them again, the Fine Art of Backing Up, etc.) and Writing These Books in Particular (the “shape” of each book, internal structure, and interconnections).
- Reader’s Guides (book-club discussion questions and commentary).
- Features on Costume and Cookery of the 18th Century.
- A Truly Massive (but well-organized!) Bibliography, of all the References used in writing the books since Volume I of the COMPANION was published.
- Many Inspiring and Beautiful Photographs of the Scottish Highlands (and perhaps a few less inspiring ones of the author) taken by Barbara Schnell, the German translator for the books.
- A Selection of the most Piquant, Poignant, Offensive, and/or Hilarious (whether deliberately or inadvertently) Letters received— and the Author;s Unexpurgated Responses to Same.
- Controversy: Commentary and discussion on the more controversial scenes, themes, or incidents in the various books.
So stay tuned! Volume II will be a must-read for all who love the Outlander series.
This page last updated by Diana’s Webmistress on on Wednesday, June 25, 2014 at 2:40 a.m. (PDT).