What’s going on in the making of the new Outlander TV series from Starz? What’s the buzz?
Here is a (non-comprehensive!) look at the history and happenings of the STARZ OUTLANDER TV series, chosen mostly by my Webmistress, which features interesting highlights that you might have missed…
April and May, 2015
April and May have been very eventful in terms of news stories about the Outlander TV series! The second eight episodes of the first season, also called "Volume Two," began airing on April 4, and the entertainment news media exploded with lots of new articles. Here are some interesting ones, sorted into categories.
From Diana’s Facebook page, posted on May 24: Er… the finale of Season One (episode 16) will air MAY 30 in the U.S. (Which is, I think, what all the ads and previews have been saying.)
Now, I have NOTHING to do with the show’s scheduling, and am not privy to the thinking behind it. At a guess, though, Starz chose not to show such an important episode on Memorial Day weekend (we went out to eat this evening, and found our favorite sushi restaurant (Toyama, in Scottsdale, if you want a good recommendation)—usually packed on a Saturday—all but deserted). People are out on the lake, barbecuing out back, or having parties—not in the mood to be glued to a TV screen).
But I did find this brief promo for Episode 16, which you might enjoy (interpreting the word "enjoy" pretty broadly…<cough>) while you wait. (I’m sorry if it doesn’t play in non-U.S. markets. I don’t have anything to do with that, either.)
- From Diana’s Facebook post on May 21: Congratulations to Germany! They got the TV series today—so in celebration, I gave them an excerpt from Book 9 on the German website. Though I might as well post it here for the English speakers as well! (NB: There is a major spoiler for Book 8 (MOBY) in here, in case you haven’t read WRITTEN IN MY OWN HEART’S BLOOD yet.) Click here to read "Jamie and Roger," the new excerpt. Or, click here to read multiple excerpts from Book 9 of the OUTLANDER series, the book I am currently writing (as yet untitled).
- Episode 12 of the TV series caused some viewers and readers to wonder whether Black Jack is a homosexual, or what? Diana discusses everyone’s favorite villain in About Black Jack… Posted originally on April 28, 2015.
From Diana’s Facebook post: A nice chat with Grant—hilarious guy, even when he’s not being Rupert!
‘Outlander’ Q&A: Grant O’Rourke Talks Rupert, Agreeing To Help Claire Rescue Jamie, by Jolie Lash for accesshollywood.com. Interview article posted on May 16, 2015. Image at right of O’Rourke as Rupert; from Starz.
- Outlander’s Sam Heughan and Tobias Menzies On That Black Jack Randall Reveal, by Alicia Lutes. An interview with the Outlander series stars which discusses the villain of the series. Posted on April 27, 2015.
- ‘Outlander’s’ Naked Black Jack: Tobias Menzies Confirms, ‘It’s All Me,’ by Terri Schwartz for zap2it.com. Tobias Menzies discusses Black Jack Randall’s revealing — and humiliating — moment. Posted on April 27, 2015.
About the Set and Costumes:
Here are two slide shows online about the gorgeous sets and costumes of Season One which also have revealing text from Jon Gary Steele and Terry Dresbach:
- ‘Outlander’: Sweating the Details to Make Lallybroch Feel Like Home, in Entertainment Weekly online (ew.com). Production designer Jon Gary Steele discusses the finer points of creating Jamie’s ancestral manor in 11 slides and images. Published on April 29, 2015.
- ‘Outlander’ Costume Designer Dishes on Those Dazzling Clothes, by Entertainment Weekly online (ew.com). Emmy winner Terry Dresbach reveals details about the styles in Starz’s Outlander series in eight slides and images. Published on April 2, 2015.
From May 22 through 31, 2015, ‘Outlander’ fans and TV academy members in Los Angeles enjoyed displays of the beautiful costumes from Season One at an event called "A Tartan Affair" in the Grove mall. The costumes on display were entered by Starz for Emmy consideration. The event was free and open to the public.
Plus, Diana appeared at the Grove mall’s Barnes & Noble on Sunday, May 31, 2015, as part of the costume celebration activities. The image at right of the costumes on display is by Matt Sayles for Starz.
When Diana posted information about this event on her Facebook page, fans from all over began posting an explosive number of comments asking Diana and Starz to bring the costume display to their city, town or country! Please! Diana posted that she has nothing to do with taking an Outlander series costume display on the road. The costumes were shown in L.A. by Starz so Emmy academy members, who nominate and vote on the awards, could view the costumes in person. If you’d like a tour to travel around with the costumes, Diana asks that you please contact Starz directly, not her. (Use the feedback form on the Starz website.)
- ‘Outlander’ Introduces Jenny, Ian and Lallybroch, With One Key Change, by Terri Schwartz, for zap2it.com. So what is different about Lallybroch in the TV series and Lallybroch in the novels? Not much! Posted on April 25, 2015.
Sex-Related Articles About Outlander:
- From Diana’s Facebook follow-up post on May 22: Ah, found it. Assuming you read both this article and the following one from Playboy—which did you think was the better analysis? Or are you just sick of hearing people talk about this? <wry g>Sexual Violence on ‘Outlander’ vs. ‘Game of Thrones’ by Sara Stewart, for Women and Hollywood, on blogs.indiewire.com. Article posted on Thursday, May 21, 2015.
- From Diana’s Facebook post on May 22: Hm! One of a pair of interesting articles (including the one from indiewire.com above…). I make no comments on these myself—they’re just fwiw.Sexual Assault and Fantasy: Where ‘Outlander’ Went Right and ‘Game of Thrones’ Did Wrong, by Kennedy O’Neil for playboy.com. Article posted on Thursday, May 21, 2015.
- ‘Outlander’ Did Something Radical Again, by Maureen Ryan, for the Huffington Post’s Entertainment section (huffingtonpost.com). Maureen Ryan says she is "not keeping a penis count," yet she discusses the appearance of men’s members on-screen, and says "’Outlander’ just did something revolutionary. Again." in the episode titled "Lallybroch." Posted on April 27, 2015.
- "Outlander" Shows Full Male Nudity — and Laughs in the Face of Rape, by Sonia Saraiya, Television Critic for Salon.com. A discussion of Black Jack Randall’s behavior and sadism on the TV show, and Jenny’s reaction to him (Jamie’s sister). Published on Sunday, April 26, 2016.
- Outlander Is Back, and It Still Has the Best Sex on Television, by Lili Loofbourow for racked.com. Lili notes, "In Outlander, sex is sometimes meaningful. Often it isn’t. But it’s always hot, it’s always primarily interested in her pleasure, and it’s always taken seriously as story." Posted on April 3, 2015.
About Ron Moore, Executive Producer
- "’Outlander’ Returns April 4 With 8 New Episodes to Finish First Season," by Rick Bentley of the Fresno Bee. The Executive Producer of the series, Ron Moore, discusses volume two of season one and how he strives to stay true to the OUTLANDER series. He is a native of Chowchilla, California, near Fresno. Article published on April 1, 2015.
To read more selected news about the Outlander TV series from previous months, please click on the links at right under the Related heading. (Yes, there is a big gap between July, 2014 and now. The Webmistress was busy with other duties, and is working to backfill this.)
DVD and Blu-Ray: Season One, Vol. One
Currently, the DVD and Blu-Ray versions of first eight episodes of season one are available in stores and online in the U.S. and some other areas, and bears the title of "Season One, Volume One."
The second eight episodes will be released on a future date as Volume Two of Season One.
Where and How To Watch
When will the Outlander TV series debut in countries around the world? When will it be available online as streaming video?Is this information listed together anywhere?
Unfortunately, a comprehensive global list of when the OUTLANDER TV series will debut in different countries and areas is difficult, due to the complexities of bringing the series to numerous broadcast areas (which involves complex legal and other issues). For some of this information, check out my Where/How To Watch webpage.
If you have some information to share about the series in your broadcast area or country, such as what cable provider will carry it, you may share it with my Webmistress. Thanks!
Links – Outlander TV Series
- As I receive news and other information about the TV series, I share it here in my official webpages and in my blog.
- I am a very active user of social media. Just about every day, I post on my official facebook page and post on Twitter. (If you don’t use Facebook or Twitter, my Webmistress works to transfer a lot of my social media posts to these webpages, for those who don’t use Facebook or Twitter, but this takes time.)
- The Official Outlander TV series site on the STARZ network’s home pages regularly posts previews, updates, and other information and news.
- If you love social media, follow Starz’s posts about the Outlander TV series on the Starz Outlander FaceBook page.
Do you have an article or interview from your local news media that you would like to suggest for this list? Or a favorite on-line article? If so, please send your suggestions to Loretta, Diana’s Webmistress for consideration. Thanks!
Top photo: Jamie (Sam Heughan) and Claire (Catriona Balfe) in a tender scene from the STARZ OUTLANDER TV series. From STARZ.
Lower photo: Executive Producer Ronald D. Moore, left, and Diana at an event on July 28, 2014, promoting the new TV series in New York. Released by Starpix. Photo: Amanda Schwab, AP.
This page is researched and maintained by Diana’s Webmistress with information from Diana, STARZ personnel, and others. The last update was made on Tuesday, June 2, 2015 at 10:38 a.m. (Pacific Daylight Time).