What’s going on in the making of the Outlander TV series from Starz? What’s the history of it, as seen through articles in the media?
Here is a (non-comprehensive!) look at the history and happenings of the STARZ OUTLANDER TV series, chosen mostly by my Webmistress, which features interesting highlights that you might have missed…
Season Three Release Date – April 10
Cinema Blend reported on March 21 that season three of the Starz Outlander TV series (which premiered last fall in the U.S.A.) will be released on DVD, Blu-Ray and as a digital download beginning on April 10, 2018 in the U.S.
A broadcast date for the premiere of Season Four on the Starz cable network has not been announced yet.
Dancing At San Diego Comic Con (SDCC) 2017
“Watch Outlander’s cast dance-filled SDCC panel with Jenna Dewan Tatum.” Posted by the LA Times on July 21, 2017. Image is by the LA Times.
Season Three Returns in September, 2017!
NEWS! Stars and Sony Pictures International announced on February 15 that the ‘Outlander’ TV series will return with Season Three in September, 2017! Click to read the announcement and details on my blog…
The Artistry of Outlander Exhibit
Live in Southern California? Or are you going to visit the L.A. area this summer? Don’t miss "The Artistry of Outlander, An Exhibit of Costumes and Set Designs," showing at the Paley Center in Beverly Hills, California, from June 8 to August 14, 2016. The exhibit is free and open to the public. Hours are Wednesdays to Sundays from Noon to 5:00 p.m. (Closed Mondays and Tuesdays.) The Paley Center, 465 North Beverly Drive, Beverly Hills, California.
Exhibit description: "The Artistry of Outlander will take visitors into the world of the critically acclaimed STARZ and Sony Pictures Television series Outlander, showcasing many iconic costumes designed by Emmy-winning costume designer Terry Dresbach. Fans can step into 18th century Parisian society, where they will be able to view actual set pieces from Outlander production designer, Jon Gary Steele, life-size episodic photography, and behind-the-scenes video segments."
Seasons 3 and 4 Approved!
Starz has announced that both seasons 3 and 4 have been approved for the Outlander TV series!
Episode 211: Script by Diana!
The Outlander TV series episode 211, “Vengeance Is Mine,” will air on June 18 on Starz in the U.S.A., and is special because Diana Gabaldon wrote the script for the episode! She spent a month in Scotland as it was being filmed. (Script authors have to be on hand as an episode is being filmed.) See: ’Outlander’s’ stars thrill to the writer’s presence on set, by Yvonne Villarreal for the Los Angeles Times. Published on June 9, 2016.
Season 2’s Exciting Finale
The second season of the Outlander TV series concludes on July 9 in the U.S.A. at 9 p.m. on Starz. It will be a 90-minute episode, instead of the usual one hour, and is titled “Dragonfly in Amber” after the second book in the OUTLANDER series of novels. Before the season finale, Starz will show a marathon of the first 12 episodes from Season Two.
Spoiler: The season 2 finale will introduce Brianna (played by actor Sophie Skelton), the daughter of Claire and Jamie, and an adult Roger Wakefield (Richard Rankin).
Season 2 Premiere Festivities!
There are lots of celebrations in the Big Apple from Monday, April 4th through Saturday, April 9th celebrating the broadcast premiere of Season 2 of the Outlander TV series! Events include red carpet events and panel discussions featuring the cast and crew of Outlander, Tartan Week, and finally the Starz global broadcast premiere of Season 2 on April 9!
Join the events in person, OR join the events LIVE on line:
Claire Beauchamp Randall Fraser is determined to find out in Season Two of the Starz Outlander TV series, which premiered on the Starz network in the U.S. on April 9,6. 201 Season Two, Episode 1 is with "Through a Glass, Darkly," a title reportedly based the Biblical passage 1 Corinthians 13:1. Season Two will cover events from DRAGONFLY IN AMBER, my second major novel in the OUTLANDER series, first published for the in July, 1992. From the Starz website:
Season Two begins as Claire and Jamie arrive in France, hell-bent on infiltrating the Jacobite rebellion led by Prince Charles Stuart, and stopping the battle of Culloden. They are thrown into the lavish world of French society, where intrigue and parties are abundant, but political gain proves far less fruitful.
Note: If you live outside the U.S.A., please check When and How To Watch, or check with your local cable or satellite provider for information on the premiere of season two in your area.
Sam Heughan: Grand Marshal of NYC Tartan Week Parade!
Scottish actor Sam Heughan, star of the Starz Outlander TV series ("Jamie Fraser"), will be the Grand Marshal of New York City’s Tartan Day parade on Saturday, April 9. Bands, Pipers, Dancers, and Clans from Scotland throughout the United States and Canada are joining the Parade along with dozens of Scottish and West Highland Terriers.
Heughan said, "As Grand Marshal of the New York Tartan Day parade 2016, I am honored and proud to serve the city and its ancestral ties. I love the city, the people, and the vibe. Please join me in toasting all who live and visit there with a whisky and a toast!"
Heughan joins the illustrious alumni who have led the Parade, including Sir Sean Connery, Alan Cumming, Cliff Robertson, Brian Cox, Kevin McKidd, and most recently in 2015, fellow Outlander star Graham McTavish.
NYC’s Tartan Week will be April 2nd to the 10th and includes a diverse range of events, from the Scotland Run through Central Park, to lunch-time concerts, business seminars, a Pre-Parade Ceilidh and much more. Check out:
See: "Outlander" Star Sam Heughan Named Grand Marshal Of The 2016 NY Tartan Day Parade, by Kyle Dawson, for New York City Tartan Week.The parade will be on April 9, and is part of NYC’s Tartan Week, from April 2nd through the 10th.
In March, the news media was gearing up for the Season Two premiere in April, with lots of news:
- Saks Fifth Avenue showcased lavish costumes from the second season of the Starz series "Outlander" in a series of six window vignettes, including a floral dressage gown worn by Catriona Balfe ("Claire Fraser"). This gown is made from 15 yards of fabric in gorgeous colors, and was worn with butter leather gloves and an enormous hat covered in silk flowers. From New York Times, Openings and Events, by Alison S. Cohn. Published on March 17, 2016
- Outlander’s Caitriona Balfe and Sam Heughan Adorably Find Out Who Knows Who Better, exclusive by Lauren Piester for E! Online (eonline.com). Article about and link to video in which Sam Heughan and Caitriona Balf play a rapid-fire game of "Who Knows Who Better" with E!’s Kristin Dos Santos. Published on March 16, 2016
- "Great Scot," by Mickey Rapkin for Elle magazine. "Outlander is one of the sexiest shows on TV, thanks in no small part to the blue-eyed redheaded, oft-shirtless Sam Heughan," begins the article. Published in the April, 2016 issue.
- Bear McCreary Composes for Pirates, Scottish Time-Travelers, and Zombies, by Lauren Sarner for Inverse (inverse.com).Bear talks about why Black Sails has the weirdest score he’s ever done, and how he composed the Outlander theme before it existed, and more. Posted on March 16, 2016.
- "The Walking Dead and Outlander would be too quiet without Bear McCreary," by Alex McCown for AV club. Bear McCreary discusses the music he has created for television series including Outlander, Black Sails, The Walking Dead, The Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Battlestar Galactica, and many others. Published on March 16, 2016.
- "’Outlander’ Stars Sam Heughan and Tobias Menzies Open Up About That Brutal Rape Scene," by for Inquisitr. Published on March 9, 2016.
- Outlander: Read an exclusive excerpt from Diana Gabaldon’s next book, by Lynette Rice for Entertainment Weekly. In honor of the 28th anniversary of the day Diana Gabaldon began writing her Outlander series, EW shared an exclusive excerpt from the author’s ninth, yet-to-be-named, book. Published on March 7, 2016.
- ‘Outlander’ Stars Ditch the Corsets and Kilts for Saks Fifth Avenue Catalog, by Rachel Torgerson. Caitriona Balfe and Sam Heughan said goodbye to their kilts and corsets temporarily for the cover of Saks Fifth Avenue’s Spring 2016 issues, Starz announced on March 3. Displays at the New York and L.A. flagship stores also featured actual costumes from the new 13-episode season. Published on March 7, 2016.
Where and How To Watch
When will the Outlander TV series debut in countries around the world? When will it be available online as streaming video? Is this information listed together anywhere?
Check out my Where/How To Watch webpage.
If you have some information to share about the series in your broadcast area or country, such as what cable provider will carry it, please let my Webmistress know. Thanks!
Links – Outlander TV Series
- As I receive news and other information about the TV series, I share it here in my official webpages and in my blog.
- I am a very active user of social media. Just about every day, I post on my official facebook page and post on Twitter. (If you don’t use Facebook or Twitter, my Webmistress works to transfer a lot of my social media posts to these webpages, for those who don’t use Facebook or Twitter, but this takes time.)
- The Official Outlander TV series site on the STARZ network’s home pages regularly posts previews, updates, and other information and news.
- If you love social media, follow Starz’s posts about the Outlander TV series on the Starz Outlander FaceBook page.
This page is researched and maintained by Diana’s Webmistress with information from Diana, STARZ personnel, and others. The last update was made on Friday, June 10, 2016, at 7:20 a.m. (Pacific Time).