What’s going on in the making of the new Outlander TV series from Starz? What’s the buzz?
Scotland has certainly taken notice of Diana’s legion of faithful readers and TV viewers. To illustrate the effects that OUTLANDER has had on Scotland, the official Visit Scotland site announced in a press release on August 8, 2014 that they have added special web resources for fans of the TV series and book series who want to explore the real country: www.visitscotland.com/outlander. The press release says that the site is "part of a wider VisitScotland marketing campaign entitled Scotland: The Land That Inspired Outlander." Wow!
And below are links to some selected news stories and announcements about the series, ordered by release dates (with the most recent listed first):
The much anticipated Outlander TV show is finally here! I think it’s amazing, and hope you’ll enjoy it as much as I do! Here are some of this month’s selected stories, reviews, recaps and announcements about the series:
- "’Outlander’: Diana Gabaldon Dishes On Acting In The Starz Series," by Jolie Lash for Access Hollywood. Great article in which Diana discusses her cameo in the Outlander TV series. Posted on August 28, 2014.
- “Exclusive: Doctor Who Alum to Guest-Star on Outlander,” by Robyn Ross for TV Guide (TVGuide.com). In the late 1980s, Diana had begun to write her first novel, when a character in a kilt from a "Dr. Who" episode inspired her "to set the book in eighteenth century Scotland." Played by actor Frazer Hines, the Scottish lad Jamie McCrimmon was a companion to the second Doctor (Patrick Troughton) in the beloved, long-running BBC series. Now Hines will appear in Starz’s adaptation of OUTLANDER as Sir Gordon Fletcher, the English warden of Wentworth Prison in Scotland! At right, Diana and Mr. Hines are being interviewed by the BBC at the Gathering in 2010. The episode will air during the second half of the first season, set to air in early 2015 in the U.S. Article published on Tuesday, August 19, 2014.
- Starz’s ‘Outlander’ Renewed For Second Season, by Nellie Andreeva for Deadline Hollywood. After the first episode was viewed in the U.S.A. to an estimated five million people during the first week, Starz announced that the series definitely will have a second year. "The overwhelming support Outlander has received from the fans, viewers and critics made the decision for us to go ahead with the second book a very easy one," said Starz CEO Chris Albrecht; in its second season, the show will cover the material in the next major novel of the series, DRAGONFLY IN AMBER. The series debut of Outlander on August 9 in the U.S. ranked number one in the Nielsen Twitter ratings. Published on Friday, August 15, 2014.
- The Outlander TV Series is featured on the cover of TV Guide for August 11-24! See image at right.
- "Ronald D. Moore on Outlander, Delicious Guacamole, and What’s Under His Kilt," an interview with Outlander’s Executive Producer by Jennifer Vineyard for Vulture.com. Posted on August 8, 2014.
- "Outlander Recap: Feminism and Time Travel in a Bodice-Ripping Romance? Sure! Outlander’s debut episode delivers on multiple counts, by Mehera Bonner for Time magazine. Review of the new TV series. Published online on Saturday, August 9, 2014. the
- The OUTLANDER TV series made its global broadcast debut on the Starz Network on August 9 in the U.S.A. Premiere dates for other countries listed below. The series had its gala red-carpet premiere with that I attended with the cast and crew at San Diego’s Comic-Con in July!
- "Starz’ ‘Outlander’ pilot already viewed nearly 1 million times," by James Hibbard for Entertainment Weekly. Published on August 8, 2014.
- "Outlander: Cast Talks Bringing Story To Life On Starz," by Jolie Lash for Access Hollywood. Published on Thursday, August 8, 2014.
- "JOIN US! STARZ TV premiere of OUTLANDER — August 9th, 9 PM (all time zones)." I discussed the debut of Outlander on STARZ in the U.S.A. in my blog. Posted on August 7, 2014.
- "Starz’s new series Outlander provides a world worth falling in love with," a review by Todd VanDerWerff for Vox.com, which says the show "lures you slowly but surely into its world, then leaves you there long after that week’s hour has ended." Posted on August 7, 2014.
- "Starz’s ‘Outlander’ Woos Women with Strong Female Protagonist," by Laura Prudom, News Editor for Variety. A discussion of how the character of Claire counters what Prudom calls a "di thesconcerting trend in the premium drama sphere that implies women only become compelling once they’ve been victimized." Published on August 7, 2014.
- "’The Knick,’ ‘Outlander’: New twists on period dramas," a review by Robert Bianco for USA Today. Bianco says that Outlander is the best series ever from Starz, and gives it three out of four stars. Posted on August 7, 2014.
- "Outlander Is No Game of Thrones, But That’s a Good Thing," by Matt Zoller Seitz for Vulture.com.Posted on August 7, 2014.
- "Author guards fan favorites in TV’s ‘Outlander’," by Lauri Neff, Associated Press, on seattlepi.com. Posted on Monday, August 4, 2014.
- "TV Review: Outlander Two-View: A Bonny Bore or Scotch Delight?" Reviews of the new series by Brian Lowry and Laura Prudhom, for Variety. Posted on August 2, 2014.
- "Outlander (2014)," a review of the new TV series by Jeff Jensen for Entertainment Weekly, who says “the pleasantly surprising Outlander gives us a romance between adults that feels adult, that’s sexy and smart and stirring.” Posted on August 1, 2014.
For news about the Outlander TV series from previous months, please click on the links at right under “Related.”
Where and How To Watch
When will the Outlander TV series debut in countries around the world? When will it be available online as streaming video? When can we purchase it on DVD or Blu-Ray? Is this information listed together anywhere? For the latest information, check out my Where/How To Watch webpage.
Official Links – Outlander TV Series
- Official Outlander TV series site on the Starz network’s home pages.
- If you love social media, follow posts on the Starz Outlander TV series FaceBook page.
Caption for top photo: Executive Producer Ronald D. Moore, left, and myself at an event on July 28 to promote the STARZ original series “Outlander,” in New York. Released by Starpix. Photo: Amanda Schwab, AP.
This page was last updated on Sunday, August 10, 2014 at 8:20 a.m. (PDT). Send any updates or errors to Diana’s Webmistress.