What’s going on in the making of the new Outlander TV series? What’s the buzz?
2014 is finally here, the year that the OUTLANDER TV Series on the Starz network will debut, “Some time this summer,” says Starz. (Previous reports of the series premiering in August were not correct. The network has not set a release date yet, but officials say it will probably be in the summer of 2014.) And don’t forget that the highly anticipated eighth book in the Outlander novel series, WRITTEN IN MY OWN HEART’S BLOOD, will be released in hardcover in June! This page has links to recent, selected news stories about the Outlander TV series project, ordered by release dates (with the most recent listed first):
The part of Ian Murray will be played by Steven Cree, the Starz network announced! His credits include Brave (2012), 300: Rise of an Empire (2014), and John Carter (2012). April is launching Spring with yet another hunk in the lineup of male actors chosen for the new TV series! Here are this month’s stories:
- An Outlander: Meet The Cast Gallery containing images from the Starz Outlander TV series was posted by Access Hollywood online. (Note: This page has great images but takes a while to load if you don’t have a good internet connection, and is data-heavy if you have data limits on your phone or internet plan.) Released on April 20, 2014.
- Scottish Actor Steven Cree Joins Starz’s OUTLANDER, by Natalie Abrams, for TV Guide online. The Starz network announced on April 10 that Scottish actor Steven Cree will play Ian Murray (image of Cree at right) in the OUTLANDER TV series, currently in production. Cree’s credits include The Awakening and Brave. Released on Thursday, April 10, 2014.
- OUTLANDER: Check out Scottish hunk who’ll play Ian Murray, by Lynette Rice, Entertainment Weekly online. Scottish actor Steven Cree will play Ian Murray, Jamie’s best friend since childhood. Released on Thursday, April 10, 2014.
Tartans and talk shows are some of the hot topics from March! Want to buy a kilt just like Jamie’s? Or a tartan skirt like Claire’s? The Scottish company supplying the authentic 1700s tartan fabric for the TV series costumes is reportedly discussing future merchandising plans with Starz and Sony. At right is an image from the TV series which shows some of the custom tartan fabric used in costumes. Ron Moore, Executive Producer of the Outlander TV series, appeared on the Carson Daly show to discuss the shows he is working on. Starz released a new trailer, and other news:
- “Tartan Company in Line for Lucrative TV Merchandise Deals,” by Greig Cameron for the Herald (Herald Scotland). Anthony Haines Textiles has created about 500 meters of custom tartan cloth so far for costumes used in the Outlander TV series, fabric which is carefully woven and dyed to duplicate the look and feel of tartans from the 1700s. This article reports that the Scottish business is in talks with the Starz television network and Sony over potential merchandising tie-ins, which could have a huge effect on the company if the series is a hit, especially since fans of Diana’s books are already sending emails to the company asking if they can buy tartan items! Published on March 20, 2014.
- Violence, Romance Teased in ‘Outlander’ Trailer, by Alex Stedman of Variety.com. On the weekend of March 15-16, Starz released a new 30-second trailer showcasing the Outlander TV series, currently in production in Scotland. Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2014.
- “Former River City actor Sam Heughan on becoming heart-throb and filming on his home turf for starring role in Outlander TV series,” by Paul English for the Daily Record. Actor Sam Heughan discusses what it’s like to portray Jamie Fraser in the Outlander TV series, including the adoration of thousands of enthusiastic fans of Diana’s books. “I feel like I’ve stepped on a roller coaster and not got off it yet,” he says. Published on Wednesday, March 12, 2014.
- On Tuesday, March 11, 2014, Executive Producer Ron Moore was interviewed on Last Call with Carson Daly, a popular late-night talk show in the U.S.A. Moore discussed Helix, which is being broadcast on the SyFy network and the Outlander TV series, currently in production which will debut some time in the summer of 2014 on Starz.
Lots of Valentine’s treats this month! It’s official… as discussed on her Facebook page, Diana Herself was filmed in Scotland this month for a cameo in the highly anticipated Outlander TV series! The Starz network released the first image of Claire and Frank together from the series (actors Catriona Balfe and Tobias Menzies) (cropped version shown at right). Plus Executive Producer Ron Moore addresses several burning questions about the new series and comparisons of Outlander to The Game of Thrones:
- “Outlander Photo Round-Up Includes Reading, Riding And A Really Bloody Claire,” by Kelly West for the Television Blend feature at CinemaBlend.com. Article about newly released images from the set of the TV series. At right is one of the newly released Starz images, of Claire reading (portrayed by Catriona Balfe). Article released on February 25, 2014.
- Outlander’s Maril Davis Q & A – Lots and Lots! by Erin Conrad, for ThreeIfBySpace.com. Series co-producer Maril Davis, of Tall Ship Productions, answers lots and lots of questions about filming and the set on Twitter, which are recounted in this article. Article posted on February 23, 2014.
- “Jamie Frasier Gets His Wounds Dressed In New Outlander Photo,” by Kelly West, for the Television Blend feature on CinemaBlend.com. Happy Valentine’s Day! What celebrates the day better for many of us than a handsome man with no shirt on? This article discusses the image (shown at the top of this page) which was released on the Starz network’s Outlander Facebook page. It shows Jamie Frasier (actor Sam Heughan) being tended to by a mystery woman, which is most likely Claire (actor Catriona Balfe). Released on February 14, 2014.
- “Outlander Photo Shows Claire And Frank, Ronald Moore Comments On Game Of Thrones Comparisons,” by Kelly West, for the Television Blend feature on CinemaBlend.com. The article features a new still image of Claire and Frank Randall (actors Catriona Balfe and Tobias Menzies) from the new Outlander TV series. Also discusses the interview with Ron Moore (listed below) in which Outlander and Game of Thrones are compared. Posted on Thursday, February 13, 2014.
- “Ron Moore on Adapting ‘Outlander,’ Helix’s Future and Taking on James Bond, by Leslie Goldberg, of The Hollywood Reporter. An interview with Ron Moore, who discusses his current projects. Does Ron agree that the Outlander TV series is the Game of Thrones for women? Is he planning to cover one of Diana’s books per season in the TV series? Read this article and find out! Interview published on Wednesday, February 12, 2014.
- “Outlander Scoop: Author Diana Gabaldon To Cameo,” by Lynette Rice, in an exclusive story for Entertainment Weekly’s “Inside TV” feature. Diana is not just an extra in the background — she has a couple of lines! The scene was filmed during the first week of February when she visited the sets in Scotland. This story posted on Saturday, February 8, 2014. Image at right: Diana on the stones set in Scotland in early February. Click here for more photos.
- View images of Diana on the Outlander TV series set, originally posted by Starz on Instagram. Released on January 31, 2013.
The news media is getting more and more excited about the new TV series, especially after Starz released the first trailer on January 11 at the Starz Outlander Fan event in Los Angeles. January 11 is also Diana’s birthday! Image at right: Actor Sam Heughan (“Jamie”). Here are some of this month’s articles, images and videos:
- “Outlander’s Diana Gabaldon and Game of Thrones’ George R.R. Martin are breakfast buddies,” by Andrea Reiher, in a blog on Zap2It.com. An article that explores Diana’s friendship with George. Released on January 21, 2014.
- “Outlander’s First Trailer Promises a Great Adaptation,” by Brody Gibson on BoomTron.com. Brody has mixed opinions so far about the book version of OUTLANDER, and thinks the TV series may be better. Released on January 19, 2014.
- Hollywood Radar (on AccessHollywood.com) released a short video news story about the Outlander Fan event on January 11 in Los Angeles. The clip shows actors Catriona Balfe and Sam Heughan, who play the lead roles in the new Outlander TV series. Click here to download the video in Quicktime movie format (MOV). Released on January 19, 2014.
- “Outlander Series Photo Round-Up: Leoch, Stocks, Jamie And Claire And More,” by Kelly West, on Television Blend (at Cinemablend.com). An article containing recently released images from the Outlander TV series. Released on January 19, 2014.
- “Starz’ Outlander stars Sam Heughan with a tilt in his Kilt,” by Margie Barron. An article about the upcoming Starz TV series and actor Sam Heughan on EntertainmentToday.com. Released on January 16, 2014.
- Why Should You Care About Starz’s ‘Outlander’? The Experts Explain, by Kara Warner on Yahoo TV (tv.yahoo.com). This article has five great reasons to watch the Outlander TV series on Starz when it debuts in the summer of 2014, and includes a lot of opinions from Outlander fans’ web sites. Released on January 16, 2014.
- On January 11, Diana Gabaldon chatted with a reporter from AccessHollywood.com about her rumored cameo in the new Outlander TV series. (Yes, the TV series crew is planning to film a cameo of Diana!) Click here to view the video. Released on January 15, 2014.
- “Outlander: Sam Heughan Talks Kilts, Diana Gabaldon Confirms Cameo In Starz Series,” by Jolie Lash for Access Hollywood. Diana discusses her involvement in the Outlander TV series, including a cameo appearance. Diana, Ron Moore, Sam Heughan, and Catriona Balfe discuss the series — how sexy will it be? — and kilts and other Outlander topics. Posted on January 11, 2014.
- “Outlander: Caitriona Balfe & Sam Heughan Share Their Favorite Scenes So Far,” on AccessHollywood.com. A video interview of actors Catriona Balfe (“Claire Randall Fraser”) and Sam Heughan (“Jamie Fraser”) at the Outlander fan event held on January 11, 2014 in Los Angeles. The first trailer of the new TV series was released at that event. Released on January 15, 2014.
- “Starz Releases Trailer Teaser for ‘Outlander,’” by Erica Trapasso of hypable.com. An article about the release of the first Outlander TV series trailer, which also has some interesting facts. Released on January 15, 2014.
- “Starz Outlander Invades L.A. Recap! A Gathering of the Fans,” by reader fans Alicia (“The Novel Strumpet”) and Erica (“The Lovely Erica” or “TV Heartbeat”), on MikeTheFanboy.com. An article about the Starz Outlander Fan Event on January 11 in Los Angeles, with images of readers who attended, and photos from the event. See what the event was like if you weren’t able to attend! Posted on January 15, 2014.
- First look at Starz’ hotly anticipated ‘Outlander’: We heartily approve of Sam Heughan in a kilt, by Joy Tipping, in the Pop Culture Blog on DallasMorningNews.com. Article by an enthusiastic Outlander reader about the new TV series, actor Sam Heughan (who portrays Jamie Fraser), and the first TV series trailer. Released on January 14, 2014.
- “‘Outlander’ TV series gets a new trailer,” by Molly Driscoll, on ChristianScienceMonitor.com. An article about the new series and the first trailer. Released on January 14, 2014.
- WOW! On January 11 (which also happens to be Diana’s birthday) the first official trailer and preview video for the new Outlander TV series was released by the Starz network! Click here to view the trailer on Youtube.
- “Starz’s Outlander Fully Expected To Get A Second Season; ‘Incursion’ Still Alive,” by Nellie Andreeva, TV Editor for Deadline Hollywood (Deadline.com). Chris Albrecht, CEO for the Starz network, has praise for Executive Producer Ron Moore and the show. Further, Albrecht hints that the new Outlander TV series will likely have a second season! Posted on Friday, January 10, 2014.
- “Outlander photo: Jamie being whipped by Black Jack Randall,” by Jack Hibbard, for Entertainment Weekly’s “Inside TV” feature. OUCH! What a sneak peak! Posted on Friday, January 10, 2014.
- “Outlander: Starz’ Version of Opening Scene Revealed,” by James Hibberd for Entertainment Weekly’s “Inside TV” feature. The TV series will open with Claire Randall (Caitriona Balfe) during World War II. The two-minute prologue is set in a field hospital showing Claire caring for the wounded and “in her element” as a wartime nurse. Published on Friday, January 10, 2014.
- Outlander: New photo and Ron Moore interview, by James Hibbard, for Entertainment Weekly’s Inside TV feature. Article about a new photo released by Starz of Frank and Claire Randall with a 1940s car. Also has an interview with Executive Producer Ron Moore, who answers interesting questions about the new Outlander TV series. Posted on January 9, 2014.
- “Celebrate Hogmanay and New Year’s Day with us as we ring in 2014, the year Outlander comes to your TV,” says the Outlander TV series cast and crew. View the video on YouTube. You can also access it in the videos listed on the official Starz Outlander site. (Sorry, but the new video may work only in the U.S. right now, like previous Starz videos.) Image above: actor Sam Heughan (“Jamie Fraser”) in the holiday video. Published on December 31, 2013 for the New Year.
- December, 2013:”Kick up your kilts, Outlander fans,” said Kate Hahn of TV Guide on December 30. “Your dreams have finally come true. Battlestar Galactica executive producer Ronald D. Moore is set to bring the wildly popular fantasy novels by Diana Gabaldon (more than 20 million copies sold!) to life.” As Diana works hard to finish writing the eighth major novel in the Outlander series in time for its release in June, 2014, production of the TV series on location in Scotland went into high gear.
- November, 2013: See Claire (actress Catriona Balfe) in period clothing on the set of the new OUTLANDER TV series! Diana discussed the TV series on Facebook and what was said by production staff during the New York Comic Con panel in October. The new TV series will apparently not debut in the spring of 2014 as originally planned, but will be released “later,” probably in the summer of 2014. Is OUTLANDER a sci-fi story? Fantasy? And other highlights.
- October, 2013: Production Begins in Scotland! Production of the new Outlander TV series in Scotland officially began on Monday, October 7, which was reported by multiple TV and entertainment news outlets, so the buzz about the upcoming series continues to build. Diana and Ron Moore discussed the series at New York’s Comic Con and revealed some tantalizing behind-the-scenes images and video. The roles of Geillis Duncan, Jenny Fraser, and Laoghaire MacKenzie were cast this month, adding to an exciting group of very talented actors. Grant O’Rourke was cast to play Rupert late in the month. And Diana knits one and purls two on a podcast…
- September, 2013: The “Claire Watch” Was Ended! After an intensive search, actress Catriona Balfe, was selected to portray the main female character in the Outlander series of books, and Diana was extremely pleased. And a space crunch in Scottish studios affects many TV and movie productions.
- Official Outlander TV series site on the Starz network’s home pages.
- Follow posts on the Starz Outlander TV series FaceBook page.
Below are links to pages with news about the Starz Outlander TV series from previous months, or use the “Related” menu at right:
Official Links – Outlander TV Series
Image at top right of page: Actor Sam Heughan as Jamie Frasier, in an image released on Valentine’s Day! From the Starz network’s Outlander Facebook page.
This page is maintained by Diana’s Webmistress, with input from Diana, Susan, and the Starz network. It was last updated on Wednesday, April 23, 2014 at 5:49 p.m. (PST).