Production Begins in Scotland!
What an exciting month! Production of the new Outlander TV series in Scotland officially began on Monday, October 7, which was reported by multiple TV and entertainment news outlets, so the buzz about the upcoming series continues to build. Diana and Ron Moore discussed the series at New York’s Comic Con and revealed some tantalizing behind-the-scenes images and video (see image at right). The roles of Geillis Duncan, Jenny Fraser, and Laoghaire MacKenzie were cast this month, adding to an exciting group of very talented actors. Grant O’Rourke was cast to play Rupert late in the month. And Diana knits one and purls two on a podcast…
- Grant O’Rourke is Cast as Rupert! The rumor is true. On the official Outlander TV series FaceBook page, Starz posted: “Grant O’Rourke (Image at right, from Starz) will play Rupert MacKenzie, a loyal member of Clan MacKenzie and an angler who is always looking for opportunities – he just can’t stand to pass up a good raid. Rupert is Dougal’s right hand man; Dougal has power and Rupert wishes he did as well.” From the Starz Facebook post dated October 27, 2013.
- Starz’s Outlander: First-Look Photo, by The Deadline Team at Deadline Hollywood (deadline.com). The Starz network unveiled the first image of actor Sam Heughan portraying Jamie Fraser in the upcoming Outlander TV series, at right. Click here to view the full-sized image. Released on October 25, 2013 at 9 a.m., PDT.
- On the official Starz Outlander TV series FaceBook page, a first image of Sam Heughan as Jamie Frasier was released. The post said, “FOR THE BEST FANS IN THE WORLD. Here’s what your wee hearts have desired. James Alexander Malcolm MacKenzie Fraser.” Posted on Facebook on October 24, 2013.
- Starz’s Outlander Series Casts Its Laoghaire MacKenzie (Exclusive), by Jolie Lash, on AccessHollywood.com. Actress Nell Hudson has been cast as the beautiful 16-year-old character in OUTLANDER. Published on Wednesday, October 23, 2013.
- ‘Outlander’ and ‘The Black Box’ Cast Regulars, by Nellie Andreeva, Deadline Hollywood (deadline.com). Actors Laura Donnelly (in Starz image at right) and Lotte Verbeek have become the latest cast additions to Starz’s Outlander series, and will portray Jamie’s older sister and Geillis Duncan, respectively. Released on Thursday, October 17, 2013.
- Laura Donnelly Cast As Jenny Fraser in Starz’s New Series ‘Outlander,’ on RedCarpetCrash.com. Released on Thursday, October 17, 2013.
- Lotte Verbeek to Play Geillis Duncan in ‘Outlander,’ by Tim Molloy, in theWrap.com. Published on October 16, 2013. Image at right: Lotte Verbeek.
- Outlander: The Borgias’ Lotte Verbeek Joins the Cast, by Jolie Lash, Access Hollywood website. Posted on October 16, 2013.
- Ronald D. Moore on Outlander, the Battlestar Ending, and Sexposition, by Jennifer Vineyard. In Vulture (New York Magazine). Published on October 16, 2013.
- “10 Alpha Males In Literature,” by Jill Shalvis in her fun blog on the Huffington Post website. She named Jamie Fraser as number two in her list of best alpha males in literature, and says of Jamie, “Strong of mind and body, loyal, and possibly the most stubborn male ever. Oh! And he has an accent. Win-win.” Published on October 16, 2013.
- Fan Event In New York: Behind The Scenes Video: On October 11, Diana and Ron Moore discuss the new Outlander TV series during a Starz panel at New York’s Comic Con, a huge fan event. Click to view the Starz video on Youtube (in the USA only).“You’ll get at least a glimpse of the sets and characters and preparation going into the show— followed by 45 minutes of detailed questions and answers with me and Ron,” said Diana, who also discussed the panel’s video in her October 17 blog. Diana and Ron were also briefly interviewed about the new TV series by Whoopi Goldberg (in a story shown on “The View” reporting on NY Comic Con).
- What Ron D. Moore Changed (and Kept) in the Outlander TV series, by Meredith Woerner, on io9.com. What has Ron Moore kept from the book, OUTLANDER? What has he changed? Ron and Diana discussed some of these topics at the New York Comic Con panel. Released on Saturday, October 12, 2013.
- Outlander: Production Kicks Off On Starz Series, by Jolie Lash, AccessHollywood.com. Production officially began on the Outlander TV series on October 7, 2013! “Day One and the battle is joined,” Executive Producer Ronald D. Moore (image at right) said. “We fight to do justice to the material and the fans. We’ll return with our targes or on them.” Released on Monday, October 7, 2013.
- Outlander Series Begins Production, Ronald D. Moore Wields A Sword In First Set Photos, by Kelly West, CinemaBlend.com. Released on Monday, October 7, 2013.
- Production Begins on Starz’s Outlander.” BroadwayWorld.com (TV World). Published on Monday, October 7, 2013.
- Outlander: Ronald D. Moore’s Starz series begins production in Scotland, by Billy Nilles, Zap2It.com. Published on Monday, October 7, 2013.
- Diana Gabaldon on the MarlyBird Knitting Podcast. Diana joined Marly’s podcast to share what it has been like writing the books in the Outlander series, and talks about the new TV series. Podcast was broadcast on October 3, 2013.
Return to Outlander TV Series News – main page.
This page is maintained by Loretta, with input from Diana, Susan, and Starz. It was last updated on Monday, January 2, 2014 at 10:10 p.m. PDT.